Monday, April 25, 2011

Lest We Forget

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.



Today is ANZAC day.
And as I'm writing this i can hear the bugle playing at the war memorial that's down the street. Chilling.
I shouldve been down there for the dawn service, but woke too late. Slack.

When i was younger i never really got today or Remembrance day.
I mean I always 'celebrated' them, at school and was made to be silent at home and stuff. But i never really got them.
When i was at school, it was just a time to sit for a minute in kid silence, (which was never silence at all, to be honest, someone always had to cough or sneeze or laugh), even in high school.

But now, i think about all the differences that couldve happened had it not been for those brave men (and women, who although they weren't in the war, they were brave at the home fronts). I think about if it was my dad lost on the Gallipoli beach, or my Pop. Or if it was them who came home and were different.

I don't know if my family had a part in any of the wars to be honest, I've never heard anyone speak about it and I've never asked. i don't know if that would make today any more or less severe for me now. I don't know if it would've made a difference when i was a kid.

I just know that I'm glad that those men (and women) were so brave then, so that i could be who i am now.

And while it will never be enough, I want to thank them.

So Thank You.
Thank You to the Men who fought and are still fighting on the war fields.
Thank You to the Men who fought and are still fighting the demons they got.
Thank You to the Women who stayed and braved those lonely nights, not knowing, hoping and Thank You to the Women who still do that today.
Thank You to the Families who were different after. Thank You for allowing your Fathers, Sons, Brothers bravery to save me, even if it meant a sacrifice to your life.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Lest We Forget.

No comments: