Thomas Sam and wife Manju jailed over daughter's death
A HOMEOPATH has been sentenced to at least six years in jail and his wife will serve at least four years for the manslaughter of their eczema-stricken daughter.
Thomas Sam, 42, and his wife Manju, 37, were convicted in June of the manslaughter of their nine-month-old baby Gloria by failing to seek proper medical treatment.
The tertiary-educated couple were accused of "gross criminal negligence" by failing to get the treatment, instead mainly relying on homeopathic remedies.
The baby was malnourished despite being properly fed, because all nutrition had gone into coping with her severe eczema.
She died in Sydney in May 2002 from an infection her body could not fight.
In handing down his sentence in the NSW Supreme Court, Justice Peter Johnson said Thomas Sam's "arrogant approach" to his preference for homeopathy above conventional medicine, and Manju Sam's deference to her husband, had led to Gloria's death.
A "very wide chasm" lay between how they had acted and how any other reasonable parent would have acted, Justice Johnson said.
"The omission of the parents to seek proper assistance for her can be characterised accurately as cruelty," he said.
"Gloria was totally dependent on her parents complying with their clear duty of care for her and each offender fell profoundly short of their parental obligations to their daughter."
Despite recommendations as early as October 2001, the Sams had refused to take her to see a specialist.
Instead they took her to India for more homeopathic treatment, despite being told by doctors that to do so would be "cruel" to Gloria.
And following their return to Australia - on board a plane where fellow passengers described the child as "screaming constantly" and "inconsolable" - for nine "critical" days, the pair did nothing.
On the ninth day, concerned about a lingering eye infection, the Sams took their daughter to the Sydney Children's Hospital at Randwick.
Doctors described Gloria as "incredibly sick" with a "massive eroded rash" and "grossly malnourished".
They gave her morphine for the pain and began treating her eye infection - her corneas were melting.
But it was too late - Gloria died three days later.
Doctors said she had been malnourished for months and in severe pain for weeks.
"Gloria's body was worn down and ultimately worn out," the judge said.
"This is not a case of a hidden condition going untreated and ultimately causing death.
"Rather this case involves an accumulation of obvious health problems which, whilst not properly treated, saw the child descending towards death."
Thomas Sam faces a maximum jail term of eight years, while his wife faces a maximum sentence of five years and four months.
This was there beautiful baby. (from here)
I just saw this story on the news and the reason they waited NINE DAYS after they came back to the country, to see a doctor? THEY WERE JET LAGGED AND TIRED.
This also makes me really really angry about the judges and laws that we have that allows these parents to even be given a maximum term and are able to be charged with manslaughter. What these people (although i call them this as the things i want to call them don't even come close to describe what they are) did is, in my eyes, murder, and torture. I'm sure 8 years is nothing.
Normally, i wouldn't wish harm to people (at least not out loud), but while these 'people' are in jail, i hope that they are not in "protection" and i hope that people are aware of what they have done. I hope that they are in the same type of pain, they put this little defenseless little baby in. I hope they they feel some of the fear, that this little girl might have felt as she felt her sight and then her life, of what little she lived, slipping away from her.
It makes me think about how many people saw this child and did nothing as well. How many people say this child in pain and just accepted it? How could the doctors have done more? Do the people who saw this child, think about her? Are they sad that they may have been able to do something, but let her parents continue? Had poor Gloria not died, would they have used 'conventional' medicines for their son? (Yes, after what happened, these 'people' continued with children). How can the law get away with such short sentences for such horror?
More articles and peoples opinion on this story can be found here.
Monday, September 28, 2009
Friday, September 25, 2009
I tend to have this thing where i start to write posts, but then i get distracted, (usually cause I'm at work, and work comes up), so i never finish the post. ANNOYING!! (so i misspelled annoying in my ranting and when i spell checked it, the only suggested word was INTERBANK. wtf?!?!)
So i thought if i just posted them all in one, then i could start with a clean slate. (that's my self diagnosed OCD there, i can't stand knowing that there are things in the drafts, i know I'm a freako).
- I can't stand when people call me 'mate' or 'buddy' or anything similar when they haven't met me before. I am not your mate/buddy, jerk. Calling me that, doesn't make your rudeness justified.
- People who get into a lift with a mirror and even though there are other people in the lift proceed to preen themselves. you need to stop now. If you looked that way on the way to work, then it s fine. Get over yourself. Or wait til the other people in the lift are not there.
- I burnt my tongue last night while cooking dinner. I still can feel the burntness. I don't like this.
- By no means, am i a spelling or grammar 'Nazi'. (I also HATE how people use the word NAZI for stupid things like this. And also, why is Nazi capitalized? ). You can tell this by looking at my previous posts. But the spelling of the 'kids' nowadays is shocking to me. I get that this is the age of myspace and texting and blah, but SERIOUSLY?!?!! I understand that the shortening of words is necessary in text messages and twitter, (PS. are you following me on twitter? If not, totally do it now!!), BUT if they arent using those forums, then why not write normally? I had a Facebook chat with someone the other day, and this person is younger then me, but only by a year or two. While i was writing full words and SENTENCES (!) they were writing words like 'kewl' 'hi5' and blah like that. I get the shortening, but 'kewl' for cool. ITS THE SAME NUMBER OF LETTERS!! I even had to write that i didn't understand what something they had written meant. Honestly. I think me writing that confused them. I look on my younger brother and sisters Myspace page and i don't understand anything that is written on it. At all. I think this makes me old. (and i just realized that i already did a post on this, but it still shits me enough to warrant another).
- Sometimes i think about my life and really think, is this it? Really, is that all there is to it? I mean, I'm married, have a job, and a rented house.. But I'm a little bit hum about it all...
- So it has come out that some politician was having an affair and fobbed off some of his responsibilities to 'spend time' with his 'lady friend'. Now, affairs are a bad, terrible, awful, disgusting thing. Really, this makes me him not a good person in my book. BUT!! What i don't understand is that his story is all up in the news and plus his poor poor wife!! I understand that with a job like that, (his wife is also a politician), the public is there and everything is out in the 'open'. But really? When is too much, too much? The 'other' woman, came out to the media, and was all 'i don't want to be named', but I'm happy to have a 3 page article in the newspaper written about me and the times we spend together... (she has since been named). I think its really really shocking that this is news. Is there really no other news in the world that we have to have this on the front (plus the next few) page(s) of the newspaper, and the first 10 minutes of the news? He could have been premier, (that's like a mayor in the US, i guess, but I'm not really sure) but now has resigned from his job. He still gets his pension though. So he is getting paid more then i am even when he stops working...
- Double Standards. They annoy the crap out of me. I see them every day, and i probably use them, but still. They annoy me. Today at work, we had someone from our 'Desk' team on our level. They didn't want to work there, I'm not sure why they were there, and it meant one less seat for someone to use when we usually run out of seats. The call centre is full of geeks or nerds, i never know which one is complimentary, and some of them are gamers **cough losers cough** which means they sometimes spend most of the time playing computer games... or something like that... ANYWAY.... There was this one person (lets call him Steve-O) who got a first and final warning when they were 'resting their eyes' at their desk. Now, Steve-O knew they were sleeping, the managers know he was sleeping, but because Steve-O said that crap, he wasn't fired... Back to today and the 'desk' person... They were on my level, and the same level as Steve-O who got the warning... And they were sleeping... Not just with the resting of the eyes, like Steve-O, they were ALSO head on desk ASLEEP. The same manager who was all ANGRY ANGRY man about Steve-O, was all ha ha ha such a funny funny thing just happened, ho ho ho... (he kinda has a Santa laugh... for real).Now, if i was Steve-O, i would be SUPER PISSED, that someone who in a more responsibility filled role, was all just able to get away with the same shit that Steve-O almost got fired for...
- I have been thinking over the last few days and here is what has been on my mind. These two songs make me wanna be a kid again. Hey Jude and Its a Mad World
- Are you sure? are you sure? If you are asking me a question and i know the answer. DON'T FUCKING ASK ME 'ARE YOU SURE?' You didn't know, so yes, i am fucking sure.
- I have this thing where I can't leave the bathroom stall when i know that someone else is waiting out there. I don't know what it is, but i know that if i am in the stall, and i can hear that someone is washing their hands, or has just walked in, i will not walk out until i can hear silence, no matter how long i have to wait. Its odd, i know. I just can't do it.I have no problem walking into the bathrooms, knowing that someone else was just in there, but I can't have people knowing that i just was in there. I hate the awkward conversation that happens while the hand washing happens, and I always think that i am being judged on my hand washing. Am i a psycho in thinking like this? I don't think so... I also do not like it when someone does their hair/make up at work cause they are going out afterwards. Its just annoying people.
- Sometimes when my husband makes me really mad, and i can't do/say anything just as bad back to him, (I'm usually non-confrontational), I sometimes think that i should just pee on his side of the bed, cause that would affect him the most. I never do, but i just think it. That's not strange, is it?
- I start work at 11 every day, so i don't wake up til like 9, and then am not really awake til at least 2. Yeah, I'm not a morning person. It really bugs me when people call me for help and they are all like excited to at work and perky and just up. They need to stop, for real.
- I hate when people call me up and say, 'hi my name is (insert name) and I'm calling from (business name) customer service. Now, i ONLY take internal calls, so obviously they will be from the same company.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Monday, September 21, 2009
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Saturday, September 19, 2009
They are remaking FAME! I wanted to cry when i saw the previews.
MY WORD, SAM WORTHINGTON IS FINE!!
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
I don't know why my mood changed so drastically, but meh.
Here is what has happened to me so far...
~ Paid rent - i hate paying rent, but i also hate that i want to own a house. Why can't we just be given one house each, WHEREVER, and that's all you can have. No more of this 'i own 16 houses and i don't have work cause I'm a gazillionaire' BS, and no more of this 'i wish i even could afford a house'. Everyone has one and only one, and then when your inheritance gives you, your parents, you choose which you want, and give the other to someone else. I think it works. Government, go do this now please.
~ Went to the post office. - i hate post offices. I esp hate the one in my building. The people that work there are so rude. Seriously people, if you don't want to work in retail, do something else, don't be all rude to the people giving you business. Ps. My dad is a postman, so my hatred for the post office doesn't continue onto postmen. I would totally love to be a post(wo)man.
~ The STUPID train barriers closed on my legs. - Now, I'm small. I only weight 50kgs (give or take) and I'm not all the tall. And i just know that tomorrow if i don't wake up with broken legs, (yes, it could totally take all day to break) i will have two massive bruises on my legs. AWESOME.
~ Patrick Swayze died. - God, why did you have to take this good good man? Why? I think i am sadder about this then all the other celeb deaths that have happened lately. Farrah made me sad, Micheal, i was just a little meh about, (totally the first public admittance of that), but Patrick? I LOVED Dirty Dancing and i probably wont be able to watch it again.
~ A stupid person called me for HELP and then MUTED me - I HATE that. I don't care if while i am working on the systems that you talk to someone else, just don't MUTE me. Its just rude. Never expect me to help you again rude person. (I may or may not have used the C word about this person after they ended the call. And i NEVER use the C word). Why do people make me do this?
So, now, i am 30 mins into my work day, and it needs to end now, cause the mood will just get worse and worse and i will get the stern 'Renee' from my boss which means he doesn't like my attitude, but its totally not my fault, it all the crap that happened which i had no control over.
So boss man, (he hates when he is called that, so take that!), i have no control over my attitude today. Or the amount of work that gets done, cause I'm in a mood. No control what so ever....
Oh and SPELL CHECK CREATOR PERSON, MEH and GAZILLIONAIRE ARE words. Add them to your stupid brain.
***Update: just so everyone knows, this is NOT PMS related at all either. ****
**Update #2 : I have this thing on my lip that is like a pimple but its not, and its PAINFUL. Its also not a coldsore, cause i dont get them. I think i might be dying***
Friday, September 11, 2009
I don't love being a runt, but i don't like it when someone or something else is in control of what i have to live with. Authority scares me.
At the moment, so much is changing, it is scaring me.
I'm having family issues, (see last post). And at work everything is all changing up.
There are new systems and other things that are changing and affecting me directly.
I don't like when i don't know how to do something that i should know how to do. I don't like that pressure of having to say, 'i don't know' to someone who is waiting on my knowledge. I don't like feeling stupid. Hence i don't like the new systems.
Today, there was a major change, and although not affecting ME, (yet) its affecting a lot of people that i have come to love and see everyday, and i may not see them as much or anymore. And i really really don't like it.
I also think this change is bad for the company, but that's my opinion and something that i can't change, so i have to deal. Shame, really.
Why can't somethings just say the same for a little while longer?
I don't want to grow older or different. I like who i am and what is around me NOW. I don't like that this change is affecting my friends SO MUCH and i can't do anything about it except pretend to be cheerful and positive about it.
Isn't there something that i can do to make it all stop?
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Not sick as in the flu, but really sick.
Like knocking on deaths door sick.
I hate it even more when its family.
I hate not knowing what i can say or do and not being able to feel.
I hate feeling empty.
Empty of emotions except sorrow and pain.
I hate when you know its going to happen, but don't know when.
But i would also hate to know when as well.
I hate that we all have no control over it.
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
I think i will be buying the book when it comes out, even though i don't have the idea of having an unborn son yet, but meh.
Its kinda similar to a book i own called, 'No Tattoos before You're Thirty - what I'll tell my children' by Sam de Brito. His book is for both his to be son and daughter though, so i can relate to it more so. He also has a blog which can be funny. His sister has a funny blog too, that i read religiously.
I have to admit, though, i love them both.
Back to the site...
Here are a few of my favourite:
6. Follow Instructions - You'll be done in half the time.
81. Remember, the girl you're with is somebody's sister. And he's perfectly capable of kicking your ass.
195. Don't boo. - Even the ref is somebody’s son.
220. Until you are a doctor, never answer your phone at the table. - That goes for emails, texts, twitters, and tweets.
Monday, September 7, 2009
Sunday, September 6, 2009
Sometimes i feel guilty for no reason and other times someone says something that while is not meant to be guilt-inducing is.